Frontend Web Application Development Lead (f/m)
Zagreb, Croatia, Full-time
What do we do?
Photomath is a fast-growing EdTech company whose mobile app is the #1 app in the world to learn math. Powered by advanced machine learning technology, the app instantly scans, accurately solves, and intuitively explains printed and handwritten math problems to users through step-by-step explanations.
With over 220 million downloads globally, Photomath is the most popular mobile application from Croatia and one of the most popular educational apps of all times. Since its launch in 2014, our award-winning app has topped App Store & Google Play Store education charts and Apple has, on multiple occasions, selected it as the application of the day on the AppStore.
In 2020 we launched the Photomath Math Expert platform, a website where Math Experts all around the world can sign-up, qualify and start earning money by explaining and solving math problems served through our systems. Currently the Expert Marketplace has thousands of active math experts creating math problem explanations, and this is just the beginning.
Today, we employ over 100 people and have offices in Zagreb and Silicon Valley. We are a team of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and skills, united by passion for technology and innovation. We believe that math is an increasingly crucial skill, particularly as problem-solving and quantitative analysis become prerequisites for many occupations.
We are constantly expanding what Photomath can do and the types and quality of our content - we have so much more ahead of us and we need your help to get there. Join us in our mission to revolutionize learning math and help students across the globe gain math superpowers!
Our software products and projects vary from internal tools to large scale web services and crowdsourced mathematical platforms. We use an agile development approach, keeping up-to date with UX and UI trends, all while keeping our users at the core of what we do. We are looking for a team lead for our frontend application development group to help grow our team’s independence and output. We have a growing number of internal frontend projects and we need someone to help drive their development.
Our dev stack:
- Backend: K8S, GCP, BitBucket, Jenkins, Kotlin, Java, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Debian, Spring Boot, Micronaut, Flyway, Elastic Search
What you will do at Photomath:
- Act as the front-end expert - defining best practices and coaching fellow developers
- Participate in peer code reviews and provide feedback
- Create and optimize processes in a team
- Plan and organize work in a team, coordinate and delegate in order to meet deadlines
- Maintain high level of work quality across all projects/tasks
- Unblock obstacles to smooth workflow and delivery of your team
- Coordinate with other stakeholders to set priorities, deadlines and deliverables for your team
- Estimate effort, time, and complexity on units of work
- Work directly with leadership in our growing development department to gain clarity on goal, scope and quality of certain deliverables expected of your team
Our ideal candidate has:
- At least 4 years of experience leading/coordinating/managing software engineering teams (preferably frontend web teams)
- Understanding of development principles and processes in developing web applications
- Knowledge of frontend development technologies like React, etc.
- Knowledge how to create, optimize and implement processes in a team
- Excellent planning, coordination, organization and prioritization skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Ability to build good relations based on trust and integrity
- Active listening skills
- A proactive and responsible approach to work
- Ability to motivate people and lead by example
- Tendency to mentor and invest time to develop people in their team
- Ability to argument and present their opinion in a structured way
- Ability to manage change well
- An interest in new web development trends and like to implement them in your work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Croatian and English
An additional plus is if you have:
- BA or MA in engineering or similar field of study
- 29.000,00 - 35.000,00 kn gross, depending on candidate's competencies
What we offer:
- A chance to contribute to Photomath’s diverse portfolio of advanced web applications used for rich media content creation, content management, content deployment, data annotation, data preprocessing, systems administration and more
- Cooperation with world-class teams to develop components for complex software systems powering the market-leading Photomath user experience and value offer
- Chance to grow your team and skills as we tackle even more demanding projects as the company grows
- Flexible working hours and work from home arrangements
- Dedication to a healthy work-life balance and various benefits for parents
- A diverse environment with agile and talented individuals across the career spectrum - to teach and be taught
- A friendly, collaboration-heavy team atmosphere
- A culture that recognizes and rewards dedication and success
- Dedicated person (mentor/buddy) to help you navigate your first weeks in a new role
- Learning and growth opportunities through knowledge sharing, education and conferences, individual development plan with a dedicated budget, weekly time devoted to learning new things
- Cutting edge hardware and equipment, budget for additional equipment
- Company events and celebrations, company retreat, team budget for team building activities
- Birthday and holiday presents for employees and their kids
- Generous vacation and paid leave policy, sick leave without a doctor's note, annual physical exam (check-up)
- Multisport card for various discounts at sport facilities
- Underground bicycle parking garage
- Modern office design, great view :) and great location (Zagreb, Strojarska 20)