What do we do?
We believe it is important for every student to have a strong understanding of math to thrive in an increasingly data-driven world. Thus, Photomath aims to change the way students learn math. We’ve achieved viral, organic growth to become the most popular math education app with over 200 million downloads. Through our mobile app, users can solve math problems instantly using their phone cameras and get detailed step-by-step instructions that help maximize learning.
We understand and appreciate the value of data-informed decision making. Thus, we are looking to hire a Data Scientist who will join our team of Data Engineers and Data Analysts to help us bring our data-informed decision making to the next level.
What is the role?
- Ideate, scope, and plan for analytics projects with stakeholders
- Own the entire life cycle of analytics tools and solutions and empower business decision making
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in large datasets
- Build and maintain predictive models using statistical or machine learning approaches to help guide business decisions
- Participate in the design and development of the company’s data architecture
- Consult with data-related projects across the company
- Identify opportunities to improve existing analytics tools and solutions
- Explore, exploit, evaluate and recommend new data sources, platforms, and tools
- Educate the company on best practices on data usage
Who are you?
- A completed Master’s or Doctoral degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, or related disciplines
- 2+ years of experience in applying data science techniques to drive technical product development and decision-making in a real business setting
- Strong consulting mindset, and capabilities to extract a data analytics or data science problem out of a business scenario/question
- Expert knowledge of SQL, and hands-on experience working with multiple databases, as well as a huge volume of data
- Advanced knowledge of Python and its main data analytics and data science packages: pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, statsmodels, matplotlib, keras, etc.
- Hands-on experience of commonly used data science methodologies (regression, tree and forest, survival analysis and modeling, neural networks), including but not limited to: modeling approaches, model optimization processes, applications of models
- Hands-on experience with at least one analytical platform and/or tool such as Google Data Studio, Metabase, Tableau, and Looker
- Enthusiasm about new technologies and capabilities to learn new skills quickly
- Good logical/analytical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a high degree of accuracy and excellent attention to details
- Good communication skills with internal and external stakeholders, willing to listen, comprehend, and share, being able to choose/adjust language making it easy for audience to understand
- Positive and proactive attitude towards work and growth mindset
- Ability to work independently and/or jointly with other people
- Flexibility to work in diverse environments
- This position is based in our San Mateo office so we are only considering candidates who will live in the San Francisco Bay Area post-COVID.
A plus is if you have:
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of other mainstream data analytics and data science languages and packages: R, Matlab, etc.
- Working knowledge of how to deploy data science models in production setting
What we offer:
- Medical, dental & vision covered at 100% for you and your dependents
- 401k with matching
- Meaningful equity
- Generous PTO policy (we mean it when we say work life balance)
- Parental leave
- Commuter stipend
- L&D opportunities and stipend
- Oh yeah, did we mention trips to our Croatia office?
We welcome diverse skill sets, experiences and people unafraid of challenging assumptions in order to create a dynamic workplace.