What do we do?
Photomath is a fast-growing EdTech company whose mobile app is the #1 app in the world to learn math. Powered by advanced machine learning technology, the app instantly scans, accurately solves, and intuitively explains printed and handwritten math problems to users through step-by-step explanations.
With over 300 million downloads globally, Photomath is the most popular mobile application from Croatia and one of the most popular educational apps of all times. Since its launch in 2014, our award-winning app has topped App Store & Google Play Store education charts and Apple has recently declared it the application of the day.
Today, we employ almost 100 people and have offices in Zagreb and Silicon Valley. We are a team of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and skills, united by passion for technology and innovation. We believe that math is an increasingly crucial skill, particularly as problem-solving and quantitative analysis become prerequisites for many occupations.
As a Data Engineer in our Data Infrastructure team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining an organization's entire data ecosystem. You are expected to design and implement systems for processing and storing data (data pipelines) and enable easy access (API and tools) to it for our Data Analytics and AI teams. You are expected to understand requirements from multiple teams, evaluate business objectives and technical constraints and propose, build, manage and maintain different databases and other data storage solutions. We are still figuring out which data is important to the organization in the long term and how to store it effectively. We need you to guide us.
We are constantly expanding what Photomath can do and the types and quality of our content - we have so much more ahead of us and we need your help to get there. Join us in our mission to revolutionize learning math and help students across the globe gain math superpowers!
Our dev stack:
- Kubernetes, Docker, Google Cloud Platform, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible, Kotlin, Java, Python, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, BigQuery, Redis, Elastic Search, C++.
What will you do
- Architect, create, validate and maintain systems to process large volumes of data
- Take ownership in developing, running, maintaining, and optimizing ETL processes and data pipelines
- Design, setup, implement, test, improve and support the company’s data infrastructure, enabling data access to the whole company
- Prepare data for analytical or machine learning use per user requests
- Participate in conversations with data users (from technical and/or business teams) and consult with data-related projects
- Identify opportunities to improve efficiency of existing data systems and processes
- Explore, exploit, evaluate and recommend new data sources, platforms, and tools
- Educate the company on best practices on data processing (including data extraction, storage, transformation, and reporting, etc.)
- Evaluate performance of data infrastructure systems
- Troubleshoot data-related problems
- Continuously propose improvements of team's processes and practices
- Demonstrate growth mindset, self-reflection and provide feedback to other team members, peers and managers
- Mentoring other colleagues and proactive knowledge sharing
Our ideal candidate has:
- At least 2 years of relevant Data Engineering or similar roles experience
- Experience in administration of Linux operating systems
- Good knowledge of relational databases
- Experience with containers (Docker) and orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Cloud deployment (e.g. AWS or Google Cloud) experience
- Experience with Bash/Python
- A degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or related disciplines
- Expert knowledge of SQL, and hands-on experience working with relational and non-relational databases, as well as a huge volume of data
- Hands-on experience of two or more of the mainstream data engineering languages and/or packages: Python, Java, R, Scala, etc.
- Experience with cloud providers such as GCP, Amazon or Azure, and utilizing their services such as Apache Kafka, Apache Beam, etc. for data processing is a plus
- Enthusiasm about new technologies and capabilities to learn new skills quicklyGood logical/analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills with internal and external stakeholders - willing to listen, understand, and share
- Positive and proactive attitude towards work and growth mindset
- Ability to work independently and/or jointly with other people
- Flexibility to work in diverse environments (in office or remotely, across different business locations, occasional flexible work hours)
- Excellent English language skills (speaking and writing)
An additional plus is if you have:
- Good knowledge of no-SQL databases
- Experience in preparing data for Machine Learning (especially dealing with large amounts of images)
- Experience with the Jenkins Scripted Pipeline (Groovy)
- Experience in Go
- 21.500 - 25.000 kn gross, depending on candidate's experience with possible exceptions
- Stock options
What we offer:
- An opportunity to work on innovative AI projects with global impact in close collaboration with the team of top AI engineers
- An opportunity to work on the preparation of large datasets used to train cutting edge Machine Learning models
- An opportunity to define and implement our data infrastructure at scale
- An opportunity to make an impact and define processes and way of working in the newly established fast growing team
- Flexible working hours and work from home arrangements
- Dedication to a healthy work-life balance and various benefits for parents
- A diverse environment with agile and talented individuals across the career spectrum - to teach and be taught
- A friendly, collaboration-heavy team atmosphere
- A culture that recognizes and rewards dedication and success
- Dedicated person (mentor/buddy) to help you navigate your first weeks in a new role
- Learning and growth opportunities through knowledge sharing, education and conferences, individual development plan with a dedicated budget, weekly time devoted to learning new things
- Cutting edge hardware and equipment, budget for additional equipment
- Company events and celebrations, company retreat, team budget for team building activities
- Birthday and holiday presents for employees and their kids
- Generous vacation and paid leave policy, sick leave without a doctor's note, annual physical exam (check-up)
- Multisport card for various discounts at sport facilities
- Underground bicycle parking garage
- Modern office design, great view :) and great location (Zagreb, Strojarska 20)