What do we do?
Photomath is a fast-growing EdTech company whose mobile app is the #1 app in the world to learn math. Powered by advanced machine learning technology, the app instantly scans, accurately solves, and intuitively explains printed and handwritten math problems to users through step-by-step explanations.
With almost 300 million downloads globally Photomath is the most popular mobile application from Croatia and one of the most popular educational apps of all times. Since its launch in 2014, our award-winning app has topped App Store & Google Play Store education charts and Apple has recently declared it the application of the day.
Today, we employ almost 200 people and have offices in Zagreb and Silicon Valley. We are a team of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and skills, united by passion for technology and innovation. We believe that math is an increasingly crucial skill, particularly as problem-solving and quantitative analysis become prerequisites for many occupations.
We are constantly expanding what Photomath can do and the types and quality of our content - we have so much more ahead of us and we need your help to get there. Join us in our mission to revolutionize learning math and help students across the globe gain math superpowers!
Where do you fit in?
As a backend developer you will be joining a team that is working on critical backend services that support the Photomath app. By joining our team, we expect you to bring your experience and make the team better, but there are senior members from the team that will guide you and help you with your learning and development. Due to the nature of the backend services, you will be collaborating closely with other teams such as: Android team, iOS team, Internal Tools and Expert Marketplace teams, Product, ...
Our dev stack:
- IDE: IntelliJ
- Frameworks:Micronaut.io, Spring boot
- Repository: Github
- CI/CD: Github Actions
- Other: MongoDB, Redis, MariaDB, NodeJS+Express, GCP
What you will do at Photomath?
- Collaborate with other backend engineers and other cross-functional teams to define, design and build backend services consumed by Photomath app
- Contribute to the architecture, design and implementation of complete Photomath ecosystem
- Build prototypes
- Learn, design and implement scalable systems that serves thousands RPS
- Develop professional expertise, apply company policies and procedures to resolve a variety of issues
Our ideal candidate has:
For mid developers:
- 2+ years of backend development experience
- Very good knowledge of Kotlin and Java programming languages
For junior and mid developers:
- Good knowledge of basics of software engineering gained through personal projects or in the industry
- Systematic approach to structuring and solving problems and attention to detail
- Proactive and responsible approach to work tasks
- Tendency to experiment, prototype and in general think of the best way to implement something despite technical challenges
Additional bonus points if you have:
- Experience with: (Kotlin, Java - for Junior positions), MongoDB, CDN, Queue messaging systems, SQL
- Basic knowledge of HTTP protocol specification
- Experience with modern software development processes (e.g. agile, continuous integration, code reviews)
- 16.000 - 26.000 kn gross 1, depending on candidate's experience
- Stock options
What we offer:
- User friendly, agile selection process consisting of just 3 clear steps
- An opportunity to work on innovative projects with global impact in close
- Flexible working hours and work from home arrangements
- Dedication to a healthy work-life balance and various benefits for parents
- A diverse environment with agile and talented individuals across the career spectrum - to teach and be taught
- A friendly, collaboration-heavy team atmosphere
- A culture that recognises and rewards dedication and success
- Dedicated person (mentor/buddy) to help you navigate your first weeks in a new role
- Learning and growth opportunities through knowledge sharing, education and conferences
- Cutting edge hardware and equipment, budget for additional equipment
- Company events and celebrations, company retreat, team budget for team building activities
- Birthday and holiday presents for employees and their kids
- Generous vacation and paid leave policy, sick leave without a doctor's note, annual physical exam (check-up)
- Multisport card for various discounts at sport facilities
- Underground bicycle parking garage
- Modern office design, great view :) and great location (Zagreb, Strojarska 20)